March 02, 2007

The Arcade Fire--Neon Bible

I will readily admit that a few weeks ago, I was not an Arcade Fire fan. Funeral never did much for me, and – although I by no means disliked it – I never understood why it was such a celebrated and treasured release. And so I felt about Neon Bible...until "No Cars Go." Embraced by the caress of orchestral soundscapes that rocket throughout the song, I was immediately won over. I rushed to start the album over from the start, and every song pulled me deeper and deeper into alcoves of Arcade Fire.

"Intervention" is the clear single-worthy track off the song, pushing Arcade Fire’s organ instrumentals straight into the spotlight with a scathing commentary on religion, and those within it. The dramatic lyrics feel right at home amongst the majestic instrumentals, as Win Butler sings, "Working for the church as your family dies / Take what they give you and keep it inside / Every spark of friendship and love will die without a home." Building and growing in volume and scope, "Intervention" explodes into a climactic spine-chilling climax, showing off everything that makes The Arcade Fire a spectacular outfit.

Other tracks like the steady drudgery of "Black Mirror," the organ-infused-blues of "My Body Is A Cage," and the shout-out against society and America in "Windowstill" show off the range of instrumental expression available to Arcade Fire—and the dynamic range in lyrical content. "Black Wave _ Bad Vibrations" puts the contrast between Butler and Regine Chassagne’s vocals on display, bounding along with a instrumental beat the hints at growing unrest—hinting at the feeling that all is not quite right. As Butler takes over the lyrics, the song becomes stronger with a pounding drum-beat, driving home the "Nothing lasts forever" theme relentlessly. Chassagne’s backing vocals add an ethereal and haunting quality to a breath-taking work. Crank your speakers on this one, and feel the chills run up and down your very being.

"No Cars Go" is my clear favorite, and revealed the entire album in a new light. A snappy drum beat supports a pop-friendly instrumental line as the song builds into the duo-vocals, singing of a place where society is left behind…where "No cars go." The lyrics and instrumentals crescendo in desire and desperation before finally unveiling a majestic composure of orchestral landscapes and imposing vocals, demanding everyone to come along: "We don’t know where we’re going / But let’s go!" This is what its all about.

I feel no doubt saying Neon Bible blows Funeral clear out of the water. I found a connection here that was missing in Arcade Fire’s first release, and its made a raving fan out of me. The incredible diversity of instrumentals and lyrical content, as well as the masterful use of non-traditional and emotion is wonderful. The Arcade Fire took my breath away and sent chills down my spine more than once, and they will for you too. The first release that will make it on everyone’s "Best of ‘07" lists, Neon Bible is simply a must-have.

(Published at ComfortComes.com)

No comments: