September 12, 2006

Fionn Regan--Put a Penny in the Slot


Read the paragraph of lyrics from the newest single by Fionn Regan before listening. Winding, odd, and deliciously twisted, the epic is full of run-away sentence structure. (Case in point: "Colour the swans / Through a telescope / I can't help from crying / I wish you were mine when I was seventeen / I followed my dream up into a high rise…"It all may sound rough in your mind, but don't fear. Now listen to "Put a Penny in the Slot" and watch as Regan bends the rough paragraph of lyrics to his will over bouncy-backwoods acoustic instrumentals.

Including only a handful of repeated choruses (only a line each), the remainder of the song is quick-moving, original, and truly unending lyrics: "It was not me but someone else you see / Twisting the steering reigns." Regan shows talent beyond his age, and couples quiet, shy vocals with brilliant lyrics for a downright creepy performance. Regan becomes that scary squirrely guy on the bus, or at work, or who lives down the hall, and if only that squirrely guy were Fionn Regan. We'd all be truly blessed that way.

(Published at UKMusic.com)

No comments: